Are you planning an exciting adventure? No, I'm not talking about bungee jumping or skydiving. I'm talking about the thrilling (read: not-so-thrilling) experience of a long-distance move! It can seem overwhelming, and you might be asking yourself How to prepare for a long-distance move? Don't worry, with the right planning and preparation, it can be […]
Are you planning a move in 2023? Whether you're moving across town or across the country, it can be a stressful experience. But with a little planning and organization, you can make the process go smoothly.
When it comes to moving, it's important to have a solid plan. From preparing for your move to starting packing to easy-to-find locations to purchase moving boxes... We have outlined everything you can possibly need to have a successful, stress-free move. If you're looking for packing and moving tips and tricks to be sure to be ready for when the moving truck shows up, you've come to the right place!
This article includes a list of moving tips and packing hacks that we have also taken the time to condense in a simple step-by-step moving tips guide, as well as a packing tips section and a packing checklist. On top of that, there is a section where you can purchase any and all packing, moving supplies, and moving boxes. As you begin the moving process, it's important to keep a few key things in mind. First and foremost, it's essential to have a good supply of packing materials, including cardboard boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, and packing paper. These items can be found at various stores, including your local grocery store, liquor store, or online retailer.
- Planning For a Move
- Choosing Movers
- Packing Tips for Moving
- What to pack in Moving Boxes
- Packing Supply Stores
- 23-step Moving Checklist
Planning Your Move in 2023 PDF
Tips for Planning Your Move
Moving tips, packing tips and being organized are extremely important for a stress-free moving day. By planning ahead and following simple steps, you can avoid common mistakes that can cause confusion and anxiety on moving day. Moving tips will help you decide what to pack first and how to organize your belongings to avoid damage. Packing tips will teach you how to protect your valuables effectively and how to use bubble wrap and boxes to avoid scratches and dings. Being organized is essential to ensure everything runs smoothly and nothing is forgotten. By following these tips, you can be sure to have a smooth and stress-free move.
The following tips and tricks will prepare you to start planning your move!
1. Finalize your new location or home.
Before you start calling moving companies or begin to pack boxes, it's important to have a clear idea of where you'll be going. Make sure you have a signed lease or purchase agreement and have all the necessary information about your new address and contact information.
2. Pick a moving date.
Consider factors like work and school schedules, weather, and the availability of movers when deciding on a moving date. It's also a good idea to give yourself enough time to pack and prepare for the move properly.
3. Sort out and hire professional movers.
If you decide to hire professional movers, be sure to research and compare different companies. Look for a company with a good reputation, and make sure they are licensed and insured.
4. Decide on what to pack yourself and what to give away.
As you begin the packing process, consider what items you need and will use in your new home and what items you can do without. Donate or sell items you no longer need to declutter.
5. Disconnect utilities and services.
Be sure to contact your current utility and service providers to let them know you'll be moving and to schedule disconnection and reconnection at your new home.
6. Forward your mail.
Contact the post office to have your mail forwarded to your new address. This will ensure you don't miss any important mail or packages.
7. Notify important parties of your move.
Be sure to let your employer, school, bank, and any other important parties know of your new address.
8. Prepare for moving day.
Make sure you have plenty of water and snacks and consider hiring additional help if needed. It's also a good idea to make a plan for parking and loading the moving truck to make the process as efficient as possible. By following these tips and preparing in advance, you can make your move as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Choosing Movers in 2023
When it comes to choosing a moving company, it's important to do your research and find a reputable, licensed and insured company. Getting multiple quotes from different companies can help you compare prices and find the best option for your needs. If you have a lot of heavy or bulky items, you may want to consider hiring full-service movers, who will handle all aspects of the move, including packing and unloading.
Here is a list of things to consider when choosing movers in your city:
1. Research your options:
There are many moving companies to choose from, so take the time to research and compare your options. Look for a company with a good reputation and a track record of customer satisfaction.
2. Get multiple estimates:
Don't just go with the first moving company you come across. Get estimates from multiple companies to compare prices and services.
3. Ask about insurance:
Make sure the moving company you choose is licensed and insured. This will protect you in case of any accidents or damage to your belongings during the move.
4. Read the fine print:
Carefully review the contract before you sign it. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions, including any fees or charges that may not be included in the initial estimate.
It's a good idea to hire professional movers, especially when moving big furniture or delicate items. They can handle all aspects of the move, including packing and unloading, saving you a lot of time and stress. To save money, you can request reusable clear plastic bins and moving boxes from the movers directly. This will make sure that you are not leftover with small boxes, large boxes, or any other materials. On top of that, you only get charged for what is used. If you plan on packing yourself, the next section includes packing tips to get you started!
Packing Tips for Moving
Packing for a move can be overwhelming, but with a little organization and planning, it can be much easier. These packing tips for moving will make all the difference and keep you organized from start to finish, saving you money.
Here are 14 tips for packing like a pro:
1. Start early:
Don't wait until the last minute to pack boxes. Give yourself time to sort through your belongings and decide what to keep. As you start packing, set up a designated packing station in a room or area where you can easily access your supplies. This will help you stay organized and efficient throughout the packing process. And when it comes to packing clothes, consider using wardrobe boxes or plastic garbage bags to keep them wrinkle-free.
2. Get the right supplies:
You probably won't have the original box for all your items. You'll need plenty of moving boxes (in various sizes), packing tape, bubble wrap, packing paper, and other supplies. Consider purchasing specialty boxes, such as wardrobe boxes, to help protect your clothes and keep them wrinkle-free.
3. Saving Money:
If you're looking to save money on packing supplies, don't forget to check out your local food bank, local liquor store, and thrift stores. These places often have boxes and other materials they're willing to donate or sell at a discounted price. You can also try contacting a moving company and asking if they have any extra supplies they're willing to sell.
4. Make a packing plan:
Create a list of everything you need to pack and assign each item to a specific box. This will help you stay organized and keep track of your belongings as you move them from one location to another.
5. Pack Smart:
To save some space and keep your belongings organized during the move, consider using small boxes for heavy items and large boxes for lighter items. You can also use bunched-up paper or plastic wrap to fill empty spaces in the boxes to prevent items from shifting during transport.
6. Packing Fragile Items:
When packing any fragile item, such as dishes or glassware, it's especially important to take extra care when packing. Use bunched-up paper or plastic wrap to fill empty spaces and protect delicate items from breaking. Toilet paper rolls or paper towels can also wrap around stemware or other fragile items. Consider creating additional padding at the bottom of the boxes. Creating this added level of protection helps to ensure the vibration of the vehicle or moving truck does not damage your items.
7. Packing Furniture Items:
When packing soft furniture items like sofas and cushions, it's important to wrap them carefully to protect them from damage during the move. One option is to use plastic wrap or bunched-up paper to cushion the corners and edges. Alternatively, you can consider purchasing plastic totes or clear plastic bins designed for these items.
8. Repurpose household items:
You can pack pillows and stuffed animals into plastic bags. This will allow you to use those now-filled plastic bags as cushions and stuffing to be sure that all items are secure in the truck when loaded. If you place each plastic bag strategically, it will help ensure that no items fall once stacked in the truck and damage a fragile dining room table or any other item made of glass.
9. Protecting Plates and Glasses:
To protect your plates during the move, consider packing plates vertically using packing paper or bubble wrap. And don't forget to pack cleaning chemicals and other household items separately, using rubber bands to keep them securely in place. Make sure not to pack glasses on top of each other. It's best to pack them side by side.
10. Protecting Fragile Items:
Be sure to wrap fragile items carefully using bubble wrap or packing paper. Consider using plastic wrap to protect smaller items from damage during the move. You might also want to consider purchasing plastic totes or clear plastic bins specifically designed for softer furniture items like cushions and sofas.
11. Disassemble your furniture:
Most beds will require disassembly. Similarly, sofas and legs from dining room tables will need to be disassembled to be transported safely from one location to the next. Use small sealable bags or a plastic pill case to store the screws and bolts from the disassembled items. Be sure to label them and place them in a safe location to avoid getting lost.
12. Label your boxes:
Clearly label each box with its contents and the room it's going to. This will help you and your movers stay organized and efficiently unpack your belongings in your new home.
13. Don't forget to save space wherever you can:
One way to do this is by packing items vertically, such as plates or books, rather than laying them flat. This can help you save space and reduce the number of moving boxes you need. You can also consider repurposing household items, like garbage bags, rubber bands, or paper towels, as packing materials. With a little bit of creativity and planning, you can make your move more cost-effective and efficient.
14. Optimize the unpacking process:
Finally, as you pack, be sure to keep track of your day-to-day routine and make sure you have all the necessary items on hand, such as paper plates and plastic pill cases. When you've completely packed a box, label it with its contents and the room it belongs in. This way, the movers can find where the box belongs and bring it to its belongings room, saving you time during the unpacking process.
Following this list of packing tips will have to be ready for your moving day in no time!
If you're looking for more details on what to place in moving boxes, the next section will surely help!
What to pack in Moving Boxes
When it comes to moving boxes, there are several different types and sizes to choose from. It is important to use specific box sizes for certain items.
Here is a list of common box sizes and their recommended uses:
These boxes are typically 1.5 cubic feet and are perfect for heavy items such as books, records, and small appliances.
These boxes are usually three cubic feet and are great for lighter items such as linens, clothing, and kitchen items.
These boxes are typically 4.5 cubic feet and are ideal for bulky items such as pillows, blankets, and toys.
Extra large boxes:
These boxes are usually six cubic feet and are great for larger items such as lampshades, curtains, and towels.
Dish barrel boxes:
These boxes are specifically designed for packing dishes and glassware. They have dividers to keep items separate and prevent breakage.
These boxes are for packing mirrors, pictures, and other wall hangings. They have a sturdy cardboard frame to protect the glass.
These can be used for packing delicate clothes if you pack them separately from your luggage.
It's important to choose the right size boxes for your belongings to ensure that they are properly protected during the move. It's also a good idea to have a few extra boxes in case you need them.
Packing Supply Stores: packing tape, packing paper, bubble wrap, and more!
Here are some of the least expensive or most well-known stores for purchasing packing supplies and any size boxes:
- U-Haul: This company offers a wide range of packing supplies, including boxes, tape, bubble wrap, and more. You can purchase supplies online or at one of their many locations.
- The Home Depot: This home improvement store carries a variety of packing supplies, including boxes, tape, bubble wrap, and more.
- Lowe's: Like The Home Depot, Lowe's offers a range of packing supplies, including boxes, tape, bubble wrap, and more.
- Walmart: This retail giant carries a selection of packing supplies, including boxes, tape, bubble wrap, and more.
- Office Depot: In addition to office supplies, this store also carries a range of packing supplies, including boxes, tape, bubble wrap, and more.
Finally, it's important to create a moving checklist to help you stay on track and ensure that you don't forget any important items. This can include packing and labelling boxes arranging donation pickup arrangements, or setting up a storage unit for out-of-season clothing or lighter items.
Moving Tips & Moving Checklist
Creating a moving checklist can be an essential part of the moving process, helping you stay organized and on track as you relocate.
Here is your perfect 23-step Moving Checklist for 2023:
- Create a moving plan and set a budget. This will help you stay organized and ensure that you have enough money to cover all of your moving expenses.
- Sort through your belongings and get rid of anything you no longer need. This will make packing and moving easier and more efficient.
- Create a packing timeline and schedule. This will help you stay on track and ensure that everything is packed in a timely manner.
- Gather all necessary packing materials such as boxes, tape, bubble wrap, and peanuts.
- Begin packing well in advance of your moving day. This will give you ample time to pack and label your belongings properly.
- Pack one room at a time. This will help you stay organized and ensure you don’t get overwhelmed.
- Label all boxes with the contents and the room they belong in. This will make it easier to unpack and organize once you reach your new home.
- Keep a list of all important documents and valuables, and set them aside in a safe place.
- Disassemble furniture and properly wrap and protect it before moving.
- Pack a moving day essentials box. This should include items you will need on your first night in your new home, such as toiletries, a change of clothes, and bedding.
- Notify important parties of your move, such as utility companies, the post office, and banks, to change your address.
- Hire a reputable moving company or rent a moving truck if you plan on doing it yourself.
- Confirm the details of your move with the movers or rental company a week before the move.
- Pack a separate box or bag with all the tools and hardware you need to reassemble your furniture.
- Make sure you have all the necessary permits and parking arrangements if moving to an apartment or other restricted area.
- Take photos and document the condition of your rental property before moving out.
- Unpack and organize your new home as soon as possible.
- Dispose of unwanted boxes and packing materials responsibly, and be careful in new buildings so as not to get fined.
- If you have pets or plants, make sure to arrange for their care during the move.
- Notify your insurance company of your move and update your policy if needed.
- Arrange for utilities to be turned on at your new home before your move-in date.
- Get to know your new neighbourhood and community.
- Make your new house a home by adding personal touches and decorating it to your taste.
By following these tips and using a moving checklist, you can make the packing and moving process as efficient and stress-free as possible.