We have all heard at least one horror story associated with a family member or a friend’s moving day. The movers either didn’t show up, items went missing or were damaged, or those insane hidden fees that moving companies like to charge midway through a service.
Crown Movers includes $50,000 of Full Replacement Value Cargo Insurance coverage in its rates for all “full-service” moves. This is not “valuated” insurance or a “protection plan” but rather real coverage directly through the insurance company. If anything is lost or damaged, the moving company must offer to repair the item, reimburse, or replace it with an item of similar likeness and value. The company also carries a $2,000,000 liability policy to protect itself and it’s clients for personal injury or property damage.
As with any insurance coverage, there is a deductible on claims. We charge a $1000 deductible to initiate a claims process which helps the company to avoid frivolous claims such as the cost of repairing scratched paint on a wall or replacing a flimsy $10 wall mirror. Obviously, if the company allowed claims for such minor incidents, our insurance rates would rise and we would not be able to afford coverage for more important issues. We may still offer to repair or reimburse for damages under $1000 at our discretion. In any case, we reserve the right to pay directly for any damage claim without making a claim through our insurance policy. Payment for moving services rendered along with payment of the deductible must be made in full before any claims will be processed.
As with all moving companies, there are certain items that will not be insured at all or that must be professionally packed or crated by an agent of the moving company in order to be insured against damage. Packing and/or crating services are handled by a separate crew at additional cost and usually require a site visit. This must be arranged well in advance of moving day and is subject to our availability. The following are limitations as to what will be covered by insurance and how things will be insured. Insurance will not cover:
- Paintings, works of art, any items made of natural stone (marble, granite, etc), ceramic, porcelain, glass or mirror, grandfather clocks or other large fragile items such as sculptures or chandeliers unless documented and packed in specialized boxes/crates by an agent of First Rate Movers.
- Sports/exercise equipment (eg. bikes, treadmills, home gyms, kayaks, canoes, paddle/surf/sailboards) unless packed/crated by an agent of First Rate Movers.
- Motorized vehicles/equip (eg. motorbikes, lawnmowers); mobility aids (eg. wheelchairs); medical equipment (eg. hospital beds)
- Electronics, musical instruments, small appliances unless packed in specialized boxes/crates by an agent of First Rate Movers.
- Mechanical or electronic functions of instruments, appliances or electronics as the movers would have no way of knowing how well these items worked or if they were functional at all. These items would only be covered if they suffered obvious physical damage at the hands of our moving crew.
- Any item with an assessed value exceeding $1000 unless approved by management and documented.
- Articles in drawers or contents of boxes/packages not packed and unpacked by an agent of the Crown Movers. Obviously, the company would not want to take responsibility for loss or damage to items that the condition/existence of were unknown to us.
- Particle board furniture. No moving company will insure these as they are high risk for damage. Particleboard furniture usually comes disassembled in a box and the customer puts the furniture together themselves. This kind of furniture comes disassembled for a reason – it does not transport well when assembled and is very likely to suffer damage. As well, this furniture is usually assembled by the customer and may not have been assembled properly, increasing the likelihood of damage.
- Dry or brittle antique furniture. Some antique furniture is so brittle that it can actually fall apart just by being blanket-wrapped.
- Plastic furniture or furniture parts (including play structures and storage sheds). Plastic furniture can lose shape easily (especially in hot weather) and is usually not repairable.
- Any furniture that the customer does not allow the movers to properly pad and/or wrap or have boxed up (TV boxes, Mirror Boxes, Sofa Plastic Covers)
- Plants, pets, or anything living – the environment inside the cargo hold of the moving truck is not suitable for transporting living things.
- Sums of money, securities, articles of extraordinary value such as gold, silver, or precious stones. Items of high value such as these should never be placed on a moving truck. It would be very difficult to show proof of their condition or that they even existed.
- Memory foam or latex mattresses unless packed in mattress boxes or any mattress that the crew is required to bend or fold during the moving process.
- Items lost that have not been inventoried by the company – for obvious reasons.
- Damages resulting from natural disasters or other causes beyond the control of the company.
- Any damage resulting from the interference or assistance of a customer or other(s) in the moving or packing process.
- Damages to any item or resulting from any item loaded to or from a vehicle/container/warehouse/storage unit not owned, leased, or otherwise contracted by Crown Movers.
- Any damages resulting from the transport of restricted items including liquids, combustibles, corrosives, perishable food, soil, pets, plants or guns.
- Any damages where the crew have pointed out to the customer that they are likely to occur and the customer accepts that risk. An example of this would be moving an over-sized couch through a narrow stairway/hallway/doorway where the couch must touch the walls/railings/stairs in order to fit through the passage.
- Damages to the home unless documented on the work order prior to the moving crew leaving the home. It is the customer’s responsibility to inspect the home and bring any damages to the attention of the crew before they leave the site. The company may, at its discretion, accept responsibility for damages after the fact.
LIMITED LIABILITY INSURANCE
All our moving services include limited liability insurance which covers $0.60 per pound of an item damaged due to negligence.
OUR PACKING INSURANCE
For items packed by Crown Movers, we offer Extra Care Protection Insurance at a rate of 2.00% of your declared value.
SELF PACKING INSURANCE
For items packed by the client, we offer Extra Care Protection Insurance, at a rate of 3.00% of your declared value.
Limited Liability Insurance
Crown Movers was founded under the principle that not only should our customers trust in us and our service, but they should also feel protected. All of your items will be wrapped and packed by our trained professionals. We offer all our clients limited liability insurance for no extra charge.
Your belongings will be protected and handled with extreme care. We know that accidents can happen. In the rare event that an item is damaged due to negligence, we will always cover the maximum of the limited liability insurance which is $.60 per pound per item.
Crown Packing Insurance
If there are valuables that you would like insured completely, there are options that should be discussed with the Crown Movers sales representative prior to the move so that the best available option may be selected for your specific item and moving needs.
For items packed by Crown Movers, we offer Packing Insurance at a 2.00% rate of your insurance need.
Extra Care Protection
For items packed by the client, we offer Extra Care Protection with a $1000 deductible. Meaning that we cannot be held responsible for items packed by you, and will only cover part of the damages if it exceeds 1000$. All of your belongings will be covered for the entire moving services. On top of the standard movers limited liability insurance, we offer extra insurance that, should damage occur, you will be entitled to repair, replacement or reimbursement. This added insurance is 3.00% of the requested value of insurance.
For example, it will cost 150$+tax (3.00% of $5000 with a $1000 deductible), and for coverage of $5000. Crown Movers will be responsible to cover up to $4000.